Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZX25 tongue weight/towing with a motorhome. 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZX25 tongue weight/towing with a motorhome. 

We bought a ZX25 last year that we towed with my ¾ ton Duramax all last year. This year we want to do some destination boating towing with our diesel pusher motorhome. Our motorhome has a 10,000 lbs tow rating but states that weight distribution hitch is required if trailer weight is greater than 5,000 lbs. My understanding is that this is because the axle of the motorhome is so far forward and the chassis is already carrying the weight of the engine, transmission, and all the motorhome behind that axle and the chassis can’t handle additional tongue weight of a 5,000 lbs plus trailer.

Adding a WDH is easy and I don’t mind doing it if I should. However, adding that stress to the pin of the swing away tongue worries me. Also, my boat is riding on a triple axle Boatmate trailer and I’ve been told that this setup has very little tongue weight. Does anyone know what the tongue weight is on this setup? If the tongue weight is under 750 lbs then I’m not worried about adding a WDH.

Any input is much appreciated!

I got my hands on a scale to weight the tongue. With the trailer flat and level the tongue weight is 650-675 lbs. Obviously that is going to vary based on cargo and how level the trailer is. Towing with the tongue low takes a little weight off the tongue and loads the front axle heavier. Dropping the tongue about 2 inches from level took about 75 lbs off the tongue. Raising it about 2 inches from level added about 125 lbs to the tongue weight.

Comment

Working...
    X